Even though the baby teeth are temporary and to be replaced by permanent teeth , your
childs baby teeth are important and are still susceptible to cavities. Usually tooth decay in
children and infants are called as baby bottle tooth decay or Early childhood calories. As
children needs strong and healthy teeth for chewing the food properly, speak and have a
good looking smile it is important to take care of their first teeth. The first teeth also make
sure their permanent teeth come in correctly. It is important to start the good oral care with
the infants itself to protect their decades to come.
There are many cause for the Baby bottle tooth decay one of the common cause is the
frequent prolonged exposure of the babys teeth to drinks that contains high amount of
sugar. Tooth decay can be passed from the mother to the infant. These bacteria are usually
passed through saliva when the mother puts the babys spoon in her mouth. There are some
measures to be taken care of to avoid the baby bottle tooth decay which are following:
- Try not to share the saliva with baby as it can pass the bacteria to the infants.
- When your childs teeth come in brush the gently with the soft child-size toothbrush.
- Brush the teeth with fluoride toothpaste until age of 3.
- Supervise your childs brushing until can counted on to spit not swallow.
- Encourage healthy eating habits.
- Encourage your child to drink from his/her own cup.
- Infants should complete the bottle before going to bed.
- Avoid filling the milk bottle with sugar water, juice or soft drinks for the infants.
When your childs first tooth appears talk to your dentist to schedule the first dental visit.
Remember starting early is the key to a lifetime of good dental health.